Litter Box Cake
(originally published in "Catnip", Published by Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine)
1 (18.25 ounce) pkg of German chocolate cake mix
1 (18.25 ounce) pkg of white cake mix
2 (3.5 ounce) pkgs instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (12 ounce) package vanilla sandwich cookies
green food coloring
1 (12 ounce) package Tootsie Rolls
1 new litter box
1 glass baking dish that fits in litter box
1 new litter box scooper
non stick pan spray or wax paper (optional)
sheets of newsprint (optional)
1) Wash the new litter box and scooper with warm soapy water, rinse, dry and set aside. Spray the glass baking dish with non stick pan spray (optional) or line with wax paper.
2) Prepare cake mixes and bake per package directions (any size pans). Let cool to room temperature.
3) Prepare pudding mix per package directions. Set aside and chill.
4) Crumble sandwich cookies. Set aside all but 1/4 cup.
5) To the 1/4 cup of cookie crumbles, add a few drops of green food coloring and mix.
6) Crumble the cooled cakes into a large bowl. Add 1/2 of the remaining cookie crumbs and some of the chilled pudding until mixture is just moist (not soggy).
7) Spoon cake mix into prepared glass baking dish.
8) Place glass baking dish into litter box.
9) Place half of the unwrapped Tootsie Rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until softened. Curve the Tootsie Rolls and shape the ends until they are no longer blunt. Spread the Tootsie Rolls randomly in the cake.
10) Sprinkle remaining cookie crumbs on top of the cake. Sprinkle 1/2 of the green colored cookie crumbs over the top of the cake.
11) Heat and shape 5 or 6 Tootsie Rolls and place on top of the cake. Some people like to spread one Tootsie roll over the side of the litter box.
12) Sprinkle the cake with any remaining green cookie crumbs.
13) Place box on a sheet of newspaper. Serve with the litter box scooper.